Kalamazoo City
English Spanish

Construction Projects

Farmers Alley

The City of Kalamazoo will be working with Consumers Energy to upgrade the sewer, water, electrical, and fiber optic infrastructure through Farmers Alley. The project will include complete removal of the surface infrastructure from building face to building face including road way, sidewalks, and lighting. The existing sanitary sewer will be upgraded to new 12 inch PVC pipe and Consumers Energy will be replacing the existing electrical conduit with new. All conflicting utilities will be removed and replaced with new utilities.

Specific details of this project will be available HERE
Start Date:  March 2016
Anticipated Completion:  Fall 2016

Franklin Street

James St to March St
Mill to gravel and resurface.
Length: 540 Feet

Franklin Circle

Mill and resurface.
Length: 175 feet

Hibbard Avenue

4th St to South end
Mill and resurface.
Length: 415 feet

Millard Court

Crosstown Pkwy to Roskam Ct
Mill and resurface.
Length: 370 feet

Robin Lane

Parker Ave to South end
Mill and resurface.
Length: 524 feet

Roskam Court

Millard Ct to East end
Mill and resurface.
Length: 200 feet

East Main Street (City of Kalamazoo & Kalamazoo County Road Commission)

East Michigan Ave to Nazareth Rd
Convert to three lane road, add center turn lane and bike lanes, modernize traffic signals, upgrade pedestrian ramps and bus stops, realign intersection of East Main St, East Michigan Ave, and Gilbert Ave
More information can be found here

East Michigan Avenue 

Riverview to Wallace
3" Mill and resurface with a road diet from Riverview to East Main Street to add bike lanes.  Convert to three lane road, add a center turn lane and bike lanes from East Main Street to Wallace.
More information can be found here
Plans are available here

East Kilgore Road

Kilgore Service Road to Sprinkle Road
3" mill and resurface.  Road diet from four to three lanes with bike lanes.  Addition of some sidewalk. 
Estimated construction schedule 

8/18/16 - Saw cutting
8/22/16 – 9/5/16 Kilgore Road Closed at Rail Road Crossing & Removals and Earthwork
9/5/16 - 10/1/16 Concrete
10/1/16 – 10/15/16 Restoration
10/15/16 – 10/26/16 Milling and HMA Paving
10/2716 – 10/28/16 Pavement Markings & Open to traffic

Plans are available here.

Dutton Street

Jasper to Portage
1 1/2" mill and resurface.

Fair Oaks Drive

Sycamore to Pine Grove
Storm sewer relocation.

Tremont Street

Inkster to Parkwood
3" mill and resurface.

Jack Pine Drive

West Michigan to North End
3" Mill and Resurface


Consumers Energy Upgrading their Gas Distribution System:

Consumers Energy will be performing 2014 CE Gas Upgrades, finishing in the spring/summer of 2015.

The following streets are scheduled in phases beginning January 2014.  2014/2015 CE Gas Upgrades

If you have further questions please contact Consumers Energy at: 1-800-477-5050 or www.consumersenergy.com

Utility / Records request

As owners and operators of both the water distribution system and the waste water system that services most of Kalamazoo County, the City of Kalamazoo is obligated by Homeland Security and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to assist in protecting our infrastructure and supply. In order to comply with Homeland Security we do not give access to either of our utilities via our website. You may request specific information by using our form below.

Contractors, Engineers, Consultants Request for Information

Consultants, property owners and contractors may require information regarding City-owned public utilities (sanitary sewer, water main, storm sewer, etc.). The location and size of mains or services, locations of public utility easements, and other "as-built" information is necessary when underground work is to be done within the City right-of-way.

Utility Research Request 

For as-built drawings within the working limits of a proposed development, adjacent to a specific property or other specified area please click here to submit a request.

There will be a minimum of a three (3) day turnaround or you will be contacted by a City Of Kalamazoo Staff member.


Right of Way (ROW) Permits and Fees

Any occupation or excavation in the public right of way, such as streets, alleys and sidewalk areas, requires a permit and inspection.  Right of Way permits and inspections are necessary to ensure individual safety, proper traffic control and adherence to City of Kalamazoo construction standards, while ensuring the City is also protected from liability issues.

A permit is required for replacement or construction of any: public sidewalk, driveway (residential or commercial), curb and gutter, all utilities, temporary encroachment, storm sewer connection.   A completed  pdf ROW Permit Application  may be turned in at:

City of Kalamazoo, Public Services - Engineering Division
415 Stockbridge Ave, Kalamazoo, MI
8:00am - 4:30pm
The permittee must notify the City of Kalamazoo at least 72 hours before starting work, and must notify the City of Kalamazoo when work is completed by calling 269-337-8601.


Permit Fees* **

  Curb and Gutter $100.00 
  Driveway, Commercial $100.00
  Driveway, Residential $100.00
  Sidewalk $100.00
  Storm Sewer $150.00
  Temporary Encroachment $150.00
  Utility (Non-Telecommunications) $150.00
  Other (for activities not mentioned above) $100.00
  Late Fee (Applied when failure to obtain the necessary permits prior to the start of work, and is in addition to standard permit fees.) $100.00


*Right of Way Permit and Bonding required for all activities listed.

**All permittees may be charged a "Plus Expenses Fee" when outside consultants are required, or when the City of Kalamazoo personnel time and labor goes above and beyond what is customary for inspection, including follow-up for activities and sites lacking permits.  A list of hourly charges for personnel and equipment normally used by the City will be available upon request.  Such charges are subject to change without notice and reflect necessary and actual costs for services.


Traffic Engineering

Traffic Engineering is a division of Public Services in the Engineering Department for the City of Kalamazoo. Traffic Engineering's function is to design the traffic control infrastructure in order to provide for the safe, efficient and economical movement of people and vehicles on the City's street system. 




Traffic Board

This administrative board hears citizen appeals/requests and considers recommendations from the Traffic Engineer regarding traffic control orders and parking regulations.

Next Board Meetings:
Location:  Main Conference Room, 415 E Stockbridge, Kalamazoo, MI

The February 9th Traffic Board meeting

 has been cancelled.  The next Traffic Board meeting is scheduled for March 9th

, 2017 at 2 p.m. 



Current Members:
Jim Hoekstra, Traffic Engineer
Rebekah Kik, City Planner
James Ritsema, City Manager
Jeff Hadley, Chief of Public Safety
James Baker, Public Services Director

 Petitioning for Parking Change

The City of Kalamazoo will consider altering on-street parking modifications via petition. The petition must clearly indicate the requested Sign Type, side of the street, Street Name, and the cross streets where the beginning and end of the change is requested. All on-street parking changes are made for an entire block. All petitions shall clearly state: "If approved, signs will be posted approximately 200 feet apart depending on property lines, trees, and at the discretion of the City Traffic Engineer".   document  Parking Petition Example

If you have any questions regarding the on-street parking petition, please contact (269)337-8601. Staff is available to answer questions and review the petition language in order to proactively identify any approval issues.

The following is a description of the process:

  • Applicant to draft a petition and contact City staff for assistance or questions.
  • Petition to be circulated to all property owners with frontage along the road for which the request is made. The signed petition must contain signatures of fifty percent (50%) or more of the owner of record (not occupant) frontage on the block(s), and only one signature per household.
  • A letter of intent should be submitted with petition to the Traffic Engineer for review in advance of consideration of the Traffic Board. The review will consist of feasibility, public safety, crash history, and other factors.
  • Petitions can be hand delivered or mailed to:

City of Kalamazoo
Public Services
Traffic Engineer
415 E Stockbridge
Kalamazoo, MI 49001

  • After review, petitions will be put before the City Traffic Board for approval. The citizen requesting the change will be invited to attend.
  • If approved, all street sign changes will be made as weather and time permit.

 Parking Permits

Please reviewicon On the Street Parking Specs (81.5 kB) before requesting a parking permit.  Parking permits should only be issued for situations that are uncommon and of a short duration.
In order to request a parking permit, please complete the Online Parking Permit Application, or call 269-337-8601, or visit us at 415 Stockbridge to request an application.  Please allow three (3) business days for processing. Please note the Parking Permit Fee Schedule below. 

Parking Permit Fee Schedule

Fees for any approved parking permit will be collected  at time of pick up.

-Standard Parking Permits (1 vehicle for up to 7 days) ...................................   $20.00.
-Extended Permits (if requesting a permit to cover more than 1 vehicle) ..........   $5.00 per additional vehicle.



Links to Important Pages and Documents:

There are several types of parking available in Downtown Kalamazoo for your convenience.
Traffic volumes are counted along major corridor streets for future transportation planning purposes.
Non-Motorized Transportation Plan pdf Non-motorized Transportation Plan


How to reach us:

Engineering Division
415 Stockbridge Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI  49001  Telephone:  269-337-8601

Engineering Division


The Engineering Division works to facilitate the City of Kalamazoo’s mission statement: “Doing our best work today and every day to make Kalamazoo the best city it can be tomorrow.”

The Engineering Division is comprised of Professional Engineers and Technicians who perform many tasks, including design, inspection and testing of street and utility projects. Our focus lies in building and maintaining a long lasting and safe infrastructure for the City.  Street Design & Construction, Water Main Design & Construction, Sewer Design & Construction, Work in Right-of-Way Permits, Third Party Work Within Streets or Alleys and Encroachment Agreements/Permits are some of the services offered through the Engineering Division.  The Engineering Division reviews and analyzes infrastructure concepts/plans/designs for areas outside the City that impact the City of Kalamazoo.

Click on the links below to help you navigate through these pages and find the services you need today.


For more information about the Construction & Engineering Services Department, call us Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at (269) 337-8601 or send us an email at: cokpublicservices@kalamazoocity.org.