The City of Kalamazoo is currently drafting three ordinances related to medical marihuana. In summary, the three proposed ordinances would:
- Amend the current City zoning code provisions permitting a registered caregiver under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act to operate as a home occupation so as to bring the ordinance in conformance with recent legislative and regulatory changes.
- Amend the City zoning code to define those zoning districts where proposed commercial medical marihuana facilities, as permitted by the Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act, may be located in the City.
- Amend the City code of ordinances to set licensing and operational standards for commercial medical marihuana facilities operating in the City.
Two public input sessions were held in July to obtain feedback on the proposals. These ordinances will be presented to the Planning Commission and subsequently to the City Commission for consideration and possible adoption in September or October.
Proposed Ordinance Drafts:
- Ordinance to Add Chapter 20B “Medical Marihuana Facilities” to the City of Kalamazoo Code of Ordinances
- Ordinance to Amend Section 4.3 Addressing Medical Marihuana as a Home Occupation (updated September 1, 2017)
- Ordinance to Amend Sections 4.1, 4.2 and 12.3 of the City of Kalamazoo Zoning Ordinance Regarding the Location of Medical Marijuana Facilities (updated September 1, 2017)
Draft Maps (updated September 1, 2017):
- Medical Marihuana, Potential Land Area for Provisioning Centers (map)
- Medical Marihuana, Potential Land Area for Safety Compliance Facilities (map)
- Medical Marihuana, Potential Land Area for Secure Transporters (map)
- Medical Marihuana, Potential Land Area for Grow Facilities (map)
- Medical Marihuana, Potential Land Area for Processor Facilities (map)