Members of the City's Building and Trades staff are directed in their work by the Building Code, Chapter 9 of the Code of Ordinances (search Chapter 9 Buildings and Building Regulations). The general purpose of this chapter is to protect public health, safety and the general welfare of the people of the City as it relates to building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fire and related aspects of the Code.
Building and Trades staff also provides support to the work of the Construction Board of Appeals (CBA). The CBA is a quasi-judicial board consisting of 7 members, as stated in Chapter 9-31 of the of the City Code of Ordinances. The Board decides matters brought before it which involve interpretation of any provision of the City's building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and fire Codes. The CBA also acts as an advisory board to the City Commission. The Board meets as needed.
Flood Hazard Mitigation Plan
Based on safety concerns due to the historic flooding of the Kalamazoo River, the City of Kalamazoo began the process of creating a Flood Hazard Mitigation Plan in 2007. Learn more about this process and the intent of this effort. The finalized Flood Hazard Mitigation Plan was approved by the City Commission on August 7th, 2008.
Locally Enforced Codes
The following are the Building and Trade Codes that are enforced by the City of Kalamazoo. All Code books are available for review at the Community Planning & Development Department, 415 E. Stockbridge Avenue. They are also available for purchase through the Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth, Bureau of Construction Codes , P.O. Box 30255, Lansing MI 48909, (517) 241-9313.
- Michigan Residential Code, 2009 Edition. Used for one and two family dwelling construction.
- Michigan Building Code, 2009 Edition, Used for multi-family, commercial, retail and industrial construction.
- Michigan Rehabilitation Code for Existing Buildings, 2009 Edition, Used as an alternative code for existing building renovations.
- Michigan Mechanical Code, 2009 Edition. Used for heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) installations.
- Michigan Plumbing Code, 2009 Edition. Used for plumbing installations.
- National Fuel Gas Code, 2009 Edition. Used for fuel consuming appliance installations.
- National Electrical Code, 2009 Edition. Used for electrical device installations.
Climatic and Geographic Design Criterion
- Ground Snow Load-35 (lb/ft2)
- Wind Speed-90MPH
- Seismic Design Category-A
- Subject to damage from Weathering-Severe
- Subject to damage from Frost Line Depth-42"
- Subject to damage from Termites-Moderate to Heavy
- Subject to damage from Decay-Slight to Moderate
- Winter design temperature-5 (97 1/2% values)
- Ice Shield Underlayment is Required
- Radon Mitigation is Required
- National Flood Insurance Program
Check a Builder's License with the State of Michigan Bureau of Construction Codes.
Access the Building & Trades Fee Schedule or Applications, Forms & Permits.