To build an endowment for the future to fund municipal parks, recreation and leisure programs for:
- People with disabilities
- Helping those with limited resources
Friends of Recreation is a City Commission appointed advisory board that exists to develop funding partnerships with corporations and individuals for municipal parks and recreation in our community. Our goal is to ensure that local funding for parks, recreation, and leisure programs will continue to be available for all people in our community in the future.
The City of Kalamazoo currently has an outstanding parks and recreation program, serving participants in areas such as youth development, after school programs, aquatics and programs for seniors and people with disabilities. These activities enhance the quality of life for everyone.
Recreation and leisure programs are positive life-enriching experiences that no person should ever have to go without.
Help us ensure that today’s opportunities for parks, recreation and leisure programs will still be available tomorrow for all people, regardless of age, gender, or income. The benefits of parks and recreation create connections to community, environment, economic development, families, youth, and individuals. For more information, call 337-8191.
How Can You Help?
Make a donation to the Kalamazoo Community Foundation/Kalamazoo Municipal Recreation Endowment Fund (may be tax deductible). Select "Other Fund," and type in "Kalamazoo Municipal Recreation Endowment Fund" or download Contribution Information Card (.pdf) and return with your donation.
- Remember “Friends of Recreation” in your will
- Become an advisory board member
Here are just a few of the reasons to support parks and recreation:
- Parks and recreation builds strong bodies
- Enhances the quality of life
- Improves health and reduces health care
- Controls air and water quality
- Keeps kids off the streets
- Strengthens neighborhood involvement
- Provides accessible places to enjoy nature
- Teaches vital life skills
- Reduces violence and crime
- Creates memories
- Reduces risk of stress related diseases
- Increases community pride
- Increases property values and boosts tourism
- Connects families, keeps them together
- THE BENEFITS ARE ENDLESS
Friends of Recreation Board
Friends of Recreation monthly meetings are held at Mayors' Riverfront Park at 8:15 a.m. Meetings are schedule for the second Thursday of each month.
Maureen Kelly, Chair