In 1831, Titus Bronson platted a town he named the Village of Bronson. The town was renamed Kalamazoo in 1836 after he was accused of allegedly stealing a cherry tree. Kalamazoo was legally incorporated as a village in 1843 and a city in 1884. Today, several landmarks are named after Bronson including a park and hospital, both located downtown.
The name Kalamazoo is derived from either the Potawatomi Indians (originating from the upper Mississippi River) or the Odawa (Ottawa) people who are known as the first people of the Nation.
A detailed history of the formation of the City of Kalamazoo, the history of City Hall as well as other historical facts about the City can be found by contacting the Records Management, Research and Archives Department.