RENTAL REGISTRATION & CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
~Ensuring safe housing standards for all rental property located in the City of Kalamazoo~
In an effort to help ensure safe and sanitary rental housing within the City of Kalamazoo, the Community Planning & Development Department oversees the Rental Registration & Certification Program. The program requires that all rental property be registered as a rental and then pass periodic inspections performed by a city Housing Inspector, culminating in the issuance of a Certificate of Compliance with the City of Kalamazoo Housing Code (Chapter 17 of the Codified Ordinances). This applies to every rental from single family homes up through hotels and motels rented on a nightly basis. A standard Certificate of Compliance is good for 28 months; however property owners who meet certain criteria can be eligible for a 40 month certificate. In addition to the periodic inspections, Housing Inspectors also respond to tenant complaints as needed.
- Have you had a rental inspection in the past 30 days? Please provide feedback by submitting our Rental Inspections Survey.
- pdf Housing Inspection News Winter 2016 (872 KB)
- pdf Code Requirements for Smoke Detectors & Carbon Monoxide Detectors (309 KB)
- pdf Rental Inspection Rules (28 KB)
- pdf Open Ground Violations Info (220 KB)
- pdf Certificate Guarantee Deadlines (47 KB)
How to Reach Us:
415 Stockbridge Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm
Links to Helpful Information, Documents & Forms
- Application for Rental Registration - PLEASE NOTE: If you need to submit new or revised rental registration applications for multiple properties you may want to use the PDF form. Fill in all fields that are the same, make copies and fill in the remainder for each individual property. You may fax to 269-337-8513 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rental Database Search - see if a property is currently certified.
- pdf Responsibilities for Property Owner and Local Agent - explains roles of owner and local agent in certification process.
- pdf Rental Inspection Rules (28 KB)
- Are You Ready For Your Inspection? - use this cheat sheet to help lower the chance you will need a reinspection.
- pdf Chapter 17 Housing Code (4.17 MB) , International Property Maintenance Code & pdf Local Addendums - provides the minimum standards properties are expected to meet to obtain a Certificate of Compliance.
- pdf Service Request Form (87 KB) - use this form to submit a complaint about a rental property. Unless it is an emergency, tenants should always provide written complaints to landlords before filing a complaint with the city. Fill out the form and email it to email@example.com along with a copy of the letter to the landlord.
- Fee Schedule - list of cost recovery fees associated with the Rental Registration & Certification Program.
- Housing Inspection News - bi-annual newsletter to rental property owners and managers, archived editions included here.
- Frequently Asked Questions If your questions isn't answered in this section feel free to ask it, by email!
Code Requirements for Smoke Detectors & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- City of Kalamazoo Fair Housing Policy
- Information on Bed Bugs - links and articles regarding bed bug detection, and removal.
- Building Board of Appeals - the BBA hears and decides variances to Chapter 17, Housing Code, when certain criteria cannot reasonably be met. Building Board of Appeals Application for Hearing
- pdf Landlord Background Check Request Form FOIA - for a minimal fee, Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety can perform a check on the background of a prospective tenant.
- pdf Helpful Hints for Off Campus Living - often first time renters are unaware of community standards, use this has a helpful guide.
- pdf Time Extension Request Form - to request extra time on repairs cited by an inspector.
Rental Registration & Certification Program Staff:
|Inspectors Name||Inspectors E-Mail||Assigned Neighborhoods|
|Michael Deitzfirstname.lastname@example.org||Edison (Partial)|
|Jim Grahamemail@example.com||Eastside & Edison (Partial) & Northside (Partial)|
|Mike Nelsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||Arcadia, Campus, Winchell, Oakwood & South Westnedge|
|Tina Perryemail@example.com||Vine, Milwood, Central Business District & Westnedge Hill|
|Yvonne Wrightfirstname.lastname@example.org||Burke Acres, Northside (Partial), Stuart & Fairmont|