RENTAL REGISTRATION & CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
~Ensuring safe housing standards for all rental property located in the City of Kalamazoo~
In an effort to help ensure safe and sanitary rental housing within the City of Kalamazoo, the Community Planning & Development Department oversees the Rental Registration & Certification Program. The program requires that all rental property be registered as a rental and then pass periodic inspections performed by a city Housing Inspector, culminating in the issuance of a Certificate of Compliance with the City of Kalamazoo Housing Code (Chapter 17 of the Codified Ordinances). This applies to every rental from single family homes up through hotels and motels rented on a nightly basis. A standard Certificate of Compliance is good for 28 months; however property owners who meet certain criteria can be eligible for a 40 month certificate. In addition to the periodic inspections, Housing Inspectors also respond to tenant complaints as needed.
- pdf Spring 2017 Housing Inspection News (741 KB)
- pdf Kudos to Properties Receiving 52 Month Certificates in 2016! (231 KB)
- Rental Inspections Survey
- pdf 2017 Spring Summer View from the Curb (5.74 MB)
- Freq Asked Questions
- Certificate Guarantee Deadlines
How to Reach Us:
415 Stockbridge Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm
Links to Helpful Information, Documents & Forms
- Application for Rental Registration - PLEASE NOTE: If you need to submit new or revised rental registration applications for multiple properties you may want to use the PDF form. Fill in all fields that are the same, make copies and fill in the remainder for each individual property. You may fax to 269-337-8513 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- pdf PDF - use this form to register your property as a rental, be sure to read the important information before you sign and submit your application.
- Online Form- use this form to register your property as a rental completely online. Be sure to read the important information prior to checking the box at the bottom of the form.
- Rental Database Search - see if a property is currently certified.
- pdf Responsibilities for Property Owner and Local Agent - explains roles of owner and local agent in certification process.
- pdf Rental Inspection Rules (38 KB)
- Are You Ready For Your Inspection? - use this cheat sheet to help lower the chance you will need a reinspection.
- pdf Chapter 17 Housing Code (4.17 MB) , International Property Maintenance Code & pdf Local Addendums - provides the minimum standards properties are expected to meet to obtain a Certificate of Compliance.
- pdf Service Request Form (82 KB) - use this form to submit a complaint about a rental property. Unless it is an emergency, tenants should always provide written complaints to landlords before filing a complaint with the city. Fill out the form and email it to email@example.com along with a copy of the letter to the landlord.
- pdf Fee Schedule (66 KB) - list of cost recovery fees associated with the Rental Registration & Certification Program.
- Housing Inspection News - bi-annual newsletter to rental property owners and managers, archived editions included here.
- pdf Freq Asked Questions (1.44 MB) If your questions isn't answered in this section feel free to ask it, by email!
Code Requirements for Smoke Detectors & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- City of Kalamazoo Fair Housing Policy
- Information on Bed Bugs - links and articles regarding bed bug detection, and removal.
- Building Board of Appeals - the BBA hears and decides variances to Chapter 17, Housing Code, when certain criteria cannot reasonably be met. Building Board of Appeals Application for Hearing
- pdf Landlord Background Check Request Form FOIA - for a minimal fee, Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety can perform a check on the background of a prospective tenant.
- pdf Helpful Hints for Off Campus Living - often first time renters are unaware of community standards, use this has a helpful guide.
- pdf Time Extension Request Form - to request extra time on repairs cited by an inspector.
- Code Requirements for Smoke Detectors & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Open Ground Violations Info
- Handrail Handout
Rental Registration & Certification Program Staff:
- Housing Inspection Supervisor, Debra Miller firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rental Registration Coordinator, Karleen Steppenwolf email@example.com
- Appointment Scheduling Staff, firstname.lastname@example.org or 269-337-8026
|Inspectors Name||Inspectors E-Mail||Assigned Neighborhoods|
|VACANTemail@example.com||Central Business District, Vine, Westnedge Hill, Milwood|
|Jim Grahamfirstname.lastname@example.org||West Main Hill, Burke Acres, Northside (West), Stuart, and Douglas|
|Ken Koetjeemail@example.com||Eastside, Edison (North), Northside (East)|
|Mike Nelsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||Edison (South), Southside|
|Yvonne Wrightemail@example.com||Arcadia, Campus, Winchell, Oakwood and South Westnedge|