RENTAL REGISTRATION & CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
~Ensuring safe housing standards for all rental property located in the City of Kalamazoo~
In an effort to help ensure safe and sanitary rental housing within the City of Kalamazoo, the Community Planning & Development Department oversees the Rental Registration & Certification Program. The program requires that all rental property be registered as a rental and then pass periodic inspections performed by a city Housing Inspector, culminating in the issuance of a Certificate of Compliance with the City of Kalamazoo Housing Code (Chapter 17 of the Codified Ordinances). This applies to every rental from single family homes up through hotels and motels rented on a nightly basis. A standard Certificate of Compliance is good for 28 months; however property owners who meet certain criteria can be eligible for a 40 month certificate. In addition to the periodic inspections, Housing Inspectors also respond to tenant complaints as needed.
Please make note of our new hours starting March 2nd!
Effective January 1st, 2015 Community Planning & Development fees will be raised. Please refer to the fee schedule for new pricing.
Amendements to Chapter 17, Housing Code took effect December 1, 2014. The specific code requirements for maintenance of housing will be found in the International Property Maintenance Code, as well as a local addendum found below:
Have you had a rental inspection in the past 30 days? Please provide feedback by submitting our Rental Inspections Survey.
Rental Database Search - See if a property is currently certified by viewing a complete list of all rental properties, or by querying agent name or address.
How to Reach Us:
415 Stockbridge Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Links to Helpful Information, Documents & Forms
- Application for Rental Registration - use this form to register your property as a rental, be sure to read the important information before you sign and submit your application.
- Responsibilities for Property Owner and Local Agent - explains roles of owner and local agent in certification process.
- Are You Ready For Your Inspection? - use this cheat sheet to help lower the chance you will need a reinspection.
- Chapter 17 Housing Code (4.17 MB), International Property Maintenance Code & Local Addendums - provides the minimum standards properties are expected to meet to obtain a Certificate of Compliance.
- Rental Housing Inspection Rules - provides parameters for certificate length.
- Service Request Form - use this form to submit a complaint about a rental property. Unless it is an emergency, tenants should always provide written complaints to landlords before filing a complaint with the city.
- Fee Schedule - list of cost recovery fees associated with the Rental Registration & Certification Program.
- Housing Inspection News - bi-annual newsletter to rental property owners and managers, archived editions included here.
- Rental Database Search - see if a property is currently certified.
- City of Kalamazoo Fair Housing Policy
- Information on Bed Bugs - links and articles regarding bed bug detection, and removal.
- Building Board of Appeals - the BBA hears and decides variances to Chapter 17, Housing Code, when certain criteria cannot reasonably be met. Building Board of Appeals Application for Hearing
- Landlord Background Check Request Form FOIA - for a minimal fee, Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety can perform a check on the background of a prospective tenant.
- Helpful Hints for Off Campus Living - often first time renters are unaware of community standards, use this has a helpful guide.
- Time Extension Request Form - to request extra time on repairs cited by an inspector.
Rental Registration & Certification Program Staff:
- Housing Inspection Supervisor, Debra Miller firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rental Registration Coordinator, Karleen Steppenwolf email@example.com
- Appointment Scheduling Staff,
|Inspectors Name||Inspectors E-Mail||Assigned Neighborhoods|
|Jim Grahamfirstname.lastname@example.org||Eastside & Edison|
|Mike Nelsonemail@example.com||Arcadia, Campus, Winchell, Oakwood & South Westnedge|
|Tina Perryfirstname.lastname@example.org||Vine, Milwood, Central Business District & Westnedge Hill|
|Yvonne Wrightemail@example.com||Burke Acres, Eastside, Northside, Stuart & Fairmont|