Traffic Engineering is a division of Public Services in the Engineering Department for the City of Kalamazoo. Traffic Engineering's function is to design the traffic control infrastructure in order to provide for the safe, efficient and economical movement of people and vehicles on the City's street system.
This administrative board hears citizen appeals/requests and considers recommendations from the Traffic Engineer regarding traffic control orders and parking regulations.
Next Board Meetings:
Location: Main Conference Room, 415 E Stockbridge, Kalamazoo, MI
The February 9th Traffic Board meeting
has been cancelled. The next Traffic Board meeting is scheduled for March 9th
, 2017 at 2 p.m.
Jim Hoekstra, Traffic Engineer
Rebekah Kik, City Planner
James Ritsema, City Manager
Jeff Hadley, Chief of Public Safety
James Baker, Public Services Director
Petitioning for Parking Change
The City of Kalamazoo will consider altering on-street parking modifications via petition. The petition must clearly indicate the requested Sign Type, side of the street, Street Name, and the cross streets where the beginning and end of the change is requested. All on-street parking changes are made for an entire block. All petitions shall clearly state: "If approved, signs will be posted approximately 200 feet apart depending on property lines, trees, and at the discretion of the City Traffic Engineer".
Parking Petition Example
If you have any questions regarding the on-street parking petition, please contact (269)337-8601. Staff is available to answer questions and review the petition language in order to proactively identify any approval issues.
The following is a description of the process:
- Applicant to draft a petition and contact City staff for assistance or questions.
- Petition to be circulated to all property owners with frontage along the road for which the request is made. The signed petition must contain signatures of fifty percent (50%) or more of the owner of record (not occupant) frontage on the block(s), and only one signature per household.
- A letter of intent should be submitted with petition to the Traffic Engineer for review in advance of consideration of the Traffic Board. The review will consist of feasibility, public safety, crash history, and other factors.
- Petitions can be hand delivered or mailed to:
City of Kalamazoo
415 E Stockbridge
Kalamazoo, MI 49001
- After review, petitions will be put before the City Traffic Board for approval. The citizen requesting the change will be invited to attend.
- If approved, all street sign changes will be made as weather and time permit.
In order to request a parking permit, please complete the Online Parking Permit Application
, or call 269-337-8601, or visit us at 415 Stockbridge to request an application. Please allow three (3) business days for processing
. Please note the Parking Permit Fee Schedule below.
Parking Permit Fee Schedule
Fees for any approved parking permit will be collected at time of pick up.
-Standard Parking Permits (1 vehicle for up to 7 days) ................................... $20.00.
-Extended Permits (if requesting a permit to cover more than 1 vehicle) .......... $5.00 per additional vehicle.
Links to Important Pages and Documents:
There are several types of parking available in Downtown Kalamazoo for your convenience.
Traffic volumes are counted along major corridor streets for future transportation planning purposes.
How to reach us:
415 Stockbridge Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49001 Telephone: 269-337-8601