File for a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE)

Applying for a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) can lower your property taxes- a PRE exempts a residence from the operating tax levied by a local school district by up to 18 mils. To qualify, you must own and occupy your home as a principal residence.  

Claim a Principal Residence Exemption

To claim a PRE, you must submit a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) Affidavit, Form 2368, to the City Assessor's Office. You can submit this via email to or by mail or in person to:

City of Kalamazoo
City Assessor's Office
241 W South Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49007

PREs are usually processed within two weeks. No notice is provided when they are processed, however you can check the status by using BS&A Online. PRE information can be found on the Property Information tab. Under the second heading "General Information for Tax Year XXXX." It should show 100% for the current period. If will also be displayed on future tax bills and assessment notices. 

Rescind Your Principal Residence Exemption if You Move

When you move or no longer occupy the home as a principal residence, you must file a Request to Rescind Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption (PRE), Form 2602, with the City Assessor's Office. If you don't file to rescind your PRE, you may have to pay additional taxes, interest, and penalties in the future.