Marihuana Business FAQ

What Marihuana Businesses does the City allow?

The City of Kalamazoo allows all types of Medical Marihuana Facilities and Adult Use Marihuana Establishments. The City DOES NOT allow Temporary Marihuana Events and does not issue or recognize Marihuana Event Organizer permits. The City refers to both Medical Marihuana Facilities and Adult Use Marihuana Establishments as "Marihuana Businesses."

Is there a limit on the number of Marihuana Business Permits the City will issue?

No, and yes. City ordinance does not establish a hard cap on the number of the permits available for any of the facility/establishment types. However, Marihuana Businesses are limited to certain zoning districts, depending on the type of business. In addition, the Zoning Code establishes two different types of required minimum separation distances. First, Marihuana Businesses are required to be separated from specific uses (churches, schools, parks, etc.), which are referred to as "buffered uses." The uses that are buffered and the required separation distances depend on the type of Marihuana Business. Second, there are required minimum separation distances between Marihuana Businesses. For example, Medical Provisioning Centers must be at least 1000 ft. apart from other Provisioning Centers and Adult Use Retailers, and Retailers must be 1,000 ft. apart from other Retailers and Provisioning Centers. Again, the required separation distances depend on the type of Marihuana Business(es) involved.

As a result of these zoning restrictions, the number of permits allowed will be limited because there are a limited number of eligible parcels where Marihuana Businesses can operate. The specific separation distance requirements and buffered uses are laid out in the Zoning Code, which is available through the link above. However, because the interaction between zoning restrictions and the location of existing Marihuana Businesses can be complex, it is recommended that prospective applicants contact the Community Planning and Economic Development Department for assistance locating eligible parcels for the Marihuana Business Permit(s) they are seeking. To reach a knowledgeable staff member, call the City's 311 Customer Support Center (269-337-8000) and ask to speak with a Zoning Inspector.

How do I know which addresses/parcels have Marihuana Businesses on them already? When does a parcel become "locked-in" for a particular business/applicant?

Under the Status Reports section below there is a link to a document with the current Marihuana Business Locations. The City Clerk accepts applications on a first-come-first-served basis. The proposed location for a business is locked-in when the application is submitted and remains locked-in until:  a) a zoning official determines the location does not comply with the City's zoning regulations; b) there is a failure by the applicant to meet the requirements of the application and permitting process; or c) the applicant withdraws their application. The document below includes businesses that have their Marihuana Business Permits, applicants that have been issued Provisional Approval Certificates, and applicants whose applications are in-process.

Does a business need to have Prequalification Status from the MRA in order to apply for a Marihuana Business Permit from the City of Kalamazoo?

No. The City does not require businesses to be prequalified by the MRA in order to apply for a City permit. However, the Provisional Approval Certificate that is issued to successful applicants is valid for one year, and a valid Certificate is necessary in order to receive a City permit. During that year the applicant must do whatever work is necessary to become fully licensed by the MRA. Thus it is highly recommended that applicants be familiar with the state licensing requirements, and although not required, it is recommended that businesses apply with the City after they are prequalified by MRA.

Is the City continuously accepting applications, or are do application windows open and close?

The City accepts applications on a first-come-first-served basis. There are no application windows.

How can I find more details about the application process?

The application process is described in-detail in the Marihuana Business Administrative Rules, which are available above.

What are the permit fees?

Marihuana Business Permit fees are set by a resolution adopted by the City Commission. A copy of the current Marihuana Permit Fee Resolution is available above.

I want to open a Marihuana Business in the City of Kalamazoo? How can I find out where to look for potential sites? Where do I begin?

A Zoning Inspector who works in the Community Planning and Development Department can help you identify eligible areas of the City and eligible parcels for the particular business(es) you want open. The Zoning Inspector can also answer questions about the eligibility of specific parcels for specific types of businesses. To reach a knowledgeable staff member, call the City's 311 Customer Support Center (269-337-8000) and ask to speak with a Zoning Inspector.

What Marihuana Business licensing change occurred on March 1, 2021?

The Michigan Marihuana Regulatory Agency began accepting applications for all license types as of March 1, 2021 without prior medical marihuana licensure under the authorization of the Michigan Regulatory and Taxation of Marihuana Act (MRTMA). The following Adult Use Marihuana license types may now be applied for in the City of Kalamazoo without a prior medical marihuana license: Grower – Class A, Class B and Class C; Processor; Safety Compliance; Secure Transporter; Retailer; Microbusiness; and Designated Consumption Establishment.