Install New Water & Sewer Service

Complete the application below to connect a property to the City of Kalamazoo's water system. This is for new 1.25 inch connections only- situations like newly constructed homes, connecting a building that is currently using a well, or installing sprinklers. To complete this application you must be the responsible payee, the bill payee's spouse or legally authorized agent, or an administrator of the estate. You will also need a valid driver's license or state ID. 

If you need to install a water service that is 2 inches or larger, add hydrants, or extend water main, please see Contribution in Aid projects

The cost for a full 1.25 inch water service installation is $6,000. If there is an existing curb valve at the property and only a partial installation is needed, the cost is $3,000. If you are not sure what will be needed, please call 311 or (269) 337-8000 so we can check for you. All installations are assumed to be full unless you have called to verify only a partial installation is needed. This fee does not include the cost of any local assessments that may be required for work outside the city limits.

If there is no basement, an outside meter box (called a ford box) will be installed. If there is a basement, the meter may be installed inside. Water service will not be turned on until the line has been installed by the City of Kalamazoo and the water meter has been set. A refundable deposit of $60 may be required when service is turned on. 

Water service installation includes the connection from the water main under the street to the meter setting. There may be additional costs for private plumbing to the City's meter where a meter pit is required or interior plumbing needs to be modified. The certified plumber who installs the service will be responsible for repairs for the first two years after installation. The City of Kalamazoo will maintain the line up to and including the meter after the first two years. 

In Person

Because this service may involve permits from other jurisdictions and a large upfront payment, we suggest you complete this application in person at City Hall. 

Step 1.Before You Apply

Before completing an application, please call 311 or (269) 337-8000 to confirm if you will need a full or partial installation. This will help our team plan for the work and will make sure you are paying the correct fee for the service needed.

If your installation is not located in the City of Kalamazoo, Portage, Parchment, Village of Richland, Richland Township, or Cooper Township, you will need to return the appropriate permits with your application. If you live in Oshtemo, Texas, Pavilion, Comstock, or Kalamazoo Township, contact the township hall to get the necessary permits ahead of time: 

  • Kalamazoo Township – 1720 Riverview Drive, (269) 381-8080
  • Oshtemo Township – 7275 West Main Street, (269) 375-4260
  • Texas Township – 7110 West Q Avenue, (269) 375-1591
  • Pavilion Township – 7510 East Q Avenue, (269) 372-0462
  • Comstock Township – 6138 King Highway, (269) 381-2360

Step 2.Submit an Application

Complete the application below and return it to the City Treasurer's Office at City Hall along with any permits that may be needed. You will need to pay the fee upfront when you return the application or make the first payment of an installment plan.

New Water Service Application(PDF, 476KB)

In addition, a $60 security deposit for billing is required for new customers.  

Step 3.Review and Installation

Your application will be sent to engineers on our team to review and plan the installation. Staff will follow up with you regarding your application and to schedule the installation. This usually happens within two weeks.  The new water service may be installed by the City of Kalamazoo or by a contractor retained by the City.

Step 4.Create Utility Account

After the water service is installed, our staff will create an account for the new water meter. A refundable deposit may be required before service is turned on.