Building and Trades staff are guided by the Building Code (Chapter 9 of the City's Code of Ordinances). They inspect buildings to ensure compliance with the code to protect public health, safety, and the general welfare of Kalamazoo as it relates to buildings, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and fire prevention.
The City of Kalamazoo inspects under the following codes:
- Michigan's Barrier Free Codes - 2009 ICC A117.1
- 2015 Edition of the Michigan Building Code
- 2015 Michigan Residential Building Code
- 2015 Michigan Rehabilitation for Existing Buildings Code
- Nec 2014 Electrical code (National Electrical Code) NFPA 70
- 2015 Michigan Mechanical Code
- 2015 Michigan Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Fire Code
- 2015 Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 International Energy Code
Building & Construction Permits
Request a hearing
The Building Board of Appeals & Construction Board of Appeals consider appeals regarding the requirements, determinations, and decisions made by the city's building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and fire inspectors. These boards also grant variances to elements of the building and fire codes in instances where literal application of the code would result in exceptional practical difficulty. In granting variances, the board may approve alternate materials and methods of installation. To request a hearing, please complete the Board of Appeals Application for Hearing at least two weeks prior to the scheduled meeting you would like to be heard at.