Application Process Update:
The initial application period for Medical Marihuana Facility Operating Permits is now closed. At this time City staff members are reviewing the applications. The City received 29 of the 35 total applications during the last week of the application period. As a result, the review and approval schedule has been updated as follows:
June 29 - July 20: Administrative Review Period. Notices of application deficiencies will be communicated by July 20th.
July 21 - 27: application deficiency correction period. By ordinance applicants have 5 business days to correct deficiencies in their applications. This week allows for the submission of corrections.
Week of July 30: the City Clerk announces the date for a lottery to select Provisional Approval Certificate recipients from among the applicants involved in facility-to-facility separation distance conflicts.
Week of July 30: the City Clerk conducts a lottery for applicants involved in facility-to-facility separation distance conflicts. Selected applicants receive Provisional Approval Certificates.
- pdf Medical Marihuana Facilities Permit Application (100 KB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Facilities Permit Process, Administrative Rules (31 KB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Facility Permits, FAQ (87 KB)
- pdf Resolution 18-34, Fees for Medical Marihuana Facility Operating Permits (219 KB)
- pdf Sample Insurance Certificate, Transporter (UPDATED 6/11/18) (108 KB)
- pdf Sample Insurance Certificate, Facility (UPDATED 6/11/18) (91 KB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Facilities Applicant List (34 KB)
Ordinances and maps (approved April 2, 2018):
- pdf Ordinance to Add Chapter 20B "Medical Marihuana Facilities" to the City of Kalamazoo Code of Ordinances (1.16 MB)
- pdf Ordinance to Amend Section 4.3 Addressing Medical Marijuana as a Home Occupation (82 KB)
- pdf Ordinance to Amend Sections 4.1, 4.2, 12.3 Regarding the Location of Medical Marihuana Facilities (280 KB)
- pdf (3.20 MB) pdf Medical Marihuana Zoning Map, Provisioning Centers/Dispensaries (2.84 MB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Zoning Map, Grower/Processor (3.23 MB)
- pdf Medical Marihuana Zoning Map, Safety/Transporter (3.15 MB)
In July 2017 two public input sessions were held to obtain feedback on the proposals. These ordinances will be presented to the Planning Commission and subsequently to the City Commission for consideration and possible adoption once finalized.
- Amend the current City zoning code provisions permitting a registered caregiver under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act to operate as a home occupation so as to bring the ordinance in conformance with recent legislative and regulatory changes.
- Amend the City zoning code to define those zoning districts where proposed commercial medical marihuana facilities, as permitted by the Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act, may be located in the City.
- Amend the City code of ordinances to set licensing and operational standards for commercial medical marihuana facilities operating in the City.
On September 18, 2017 at the City of Kalamazoo City Commission meeting the City Attorney Clyde Robinson presented to the City Commission an update on the State’s progress on the roll-out of its medical marihuana facility licensing program. The State licensing process was not on track to be ready by December 15, and this uncertainty in the State regulatory framework meant that any ordinances addressing medical marihuana facilities the City might adopt before December 15, 2017, the date when license applications can be filed with the State, may need to be amended once the final licensing program is in place. The City Commission by consensus agreed with the recommendation by the City Attorney to postpone consideration of the Zoning Ordinance amendments and a proposed local licensing ordinance until after the promulgation of emergency rules by the State.
On December 4, 2017, the State of Michigan – Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) released the emergency rules for the administration of Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act. The release of these emergency rules allowed the City of Kalamazoo to better understand LARA’s process for accepting and reviewing applications for licenses. The City Attorney convened a working group of City staff to review the emergency rules and its implications on the draft ordinance amendments prepared in 2017.
On March 19, 2018 the City Commission discussed the draft Medical Marihuana Ordinances and held the first public hearing. The City Commission voted unanimously to move the Medical Marihuana Ordinances to the second required public hearing.
On April 2, 2018 The City Commission held the required second public hearing and unanimously approved the three ordinances and the City administration is now working on the application forms, timeline for accepting applications and the internal review process. An announcement is anticipated within 30 days.
On May 11, 2018 the City released updated potential land area maps for Medical Marihuana Facilities.